Translate

20.3.17

Annoying Client || HTTP Error 500 || 18 hours down the drain (II)

Sorry for the long break, back to my narrative.

3 days after working the magic of page cloning for these guyz, they realised it made them look too similar to the guys they were copying, so now, they wanted original designs again. In addition, they also wanted to change the name of the platform entirely. (Did I mention that they had already changed names like twice?).

I conceded to their wishes (didn't really have much of a choice at that stage) and wasted another couple hours of my precious time redesigning the front end. (Time I could have spent perfecting the core of the web application itself. Still, I pulled it off, managed a superman-like sequence of coding marathons to get the middle/backend done.  I congratulated myself for a good job well done and deployed a demo to a dev server.

I was in bliss, already counting my balance in my mind when these guys called again. This time around, they wanted new features on the backend, features they didn't realise they needed but (according to them) expected me to have known they would need it. They didn;'t even talk politely, they spoke like they owned me, and that was when I lost it completely. 

At this point, I regretted  a couple of things:
1. The lack of a super-tight formal contractual agreement before the commencement of the gig.
2. Not collecting more than 70% of my fee upfront..
3. Being  super gentle with them so far all in the spirit of pleasing the clients.  (Learn from my mistake)

I was so angry at them, and more at myself. These guys were talking like they owned me (Nobody does, One main point of being a coder, according to me is that nobody really owns you, it's all in your head, and that head is on your shoulders).

So out of anger, I told them I would get back to them, terminated the call and then went off the grid for them (If you know what I mean).

No comments:

Post a Comment